Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hawaiian Chicken

Something came to my mind when I was thinking of what to do with chicken. This recipe I remembered was the first I learned to cook many years ago. Well, I mean I knew how to cook fry eggs, hotdogs, hams, and bacon but this one is the first slightly complicated recipe I learned to assemble. With the help of my older sister and some of my neighbour friend I vividly remember.

Ingredients:

1 kg Chicken, cut into serving pieces

½ kg Chicken liver and gizzard mix

¼ kg Potato, quartered

5 cloves Garlic, minced

1 pc. Onion, medium, thinly sliced

¼ tsp. Black pepper powder

1 cup Water

½ tsp. Iodized salt

1 can Medium sized, pineapple tidbits, drained, save the juice

1 tbsp. Safflower oil, for sautéing

2 tbsp. Safflower oil, for frying potatoes

Cooking Instruction:

Heat the oil in a Teflon frying pan and fry the potatoes, brown all sides and set aside atop paper towels to remove excess fat. In the remaining oil, sauté the garlic, onion, and ginger until garlic is golden brown and the onion starts to caramelize. Add the chicken and stir. Cook for about two minutes. Add the pineapple juice from the tidbits. Add the salt and black pepper. Cover and boil for about five minutes. Add 1 cup water and adjust heat to gentle boil and cover. Cook for about 30 minutes and add the fried potatoes and increase heat. When only about ½ cup of the liquid remains, add the pineapple tidbits and stir. Cook for an additional of two minutes. Serve with rice or enjoy with bread.




No comments: